The Improving Medicare Post-Acute Care Transformation Act (IMPACT) Act requires that the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) ensure that each Medicare-certified hospice agency undergo a survey at least once every 36 months for the next 10 years. This requirement became effective in April 2015; however, many hospices have gone 5 or more years since their last survey and are uncertain what the outcome will be for their next CMS/State survey.
The degree to which your hospice can ensure regulatory compliance with the Conditions of Participation (CoP), ensure perpetual survey readiness, and mitigate the risk of non-compliance is directly proportional to its long-term viability.
Weatherbee utilizes a multifaceted approach when conducting Mock Surveys. The process involves comprehensively evaluating your hospice's adherence to the Conditions of Participation, assessing clinical and administrative infrastructure, and evaluating your hospice's provision of hospice care with the goal of ensuring regulatory compliance in high-risk areas, thereby minimizing the threat of survey deficiencies.
Mock Surveys can include:
- Conducting a pre-billing audit of selected clinical records to identify opportunities for improvement related to the Medicare Conditions of Participation (CoPs)
- Auditing selected personnel files to ensure regulatory compliance
- Reviewing components of the administrative and clinical infrastructure
- Conducting an onsite assessment to evaluate compliance with Medicare CoPs
- Observing the interdisciplinary group meeting
- Conducting home visits (with patient consent) to assess the quality and provision of hospice services
- Interviewing selected leadership and staff members to identify potential knowledge gaps and areas for improvement
- Evaluating your hospice's level of exposure with regard to risk areas identified by the OIG
- Facilitating the development of a Perpetual Survey Readiness Program
- Providing ongoing support, education, and/or coaching
Weatherbee works to understand your specific needs for a Mock Survey and delivers customized remote and/or onsite services.
Engaging Weatherbee will result in:
- Establishing organizational priorities;
- Maintaining project momentum;
- Engender staff buy-in; and
- Assure business continuity, quality of care, and regulatory compliance.
Please contact Weatherbee for additional information regarding Mock Survey needs.