Pre- and Post-Acquisition Services
When seeking to acquire an established hospice program, conducting pre- and post-acquisition clinical due diligence is a crucial step in evaluating the overall feasibility and advisability of the acquisition as well as its subsequent success.
Weatherbee evaluates the regulatory compliance, census viability, interdisciplinary processes, clinical competence, and overall strengths and weaknesses of the program.
Due diligence services may include:
- Analyzing the census data to determine case mix, identify potential risks, and select clinical records to be audited
- Auditing clinical records of high-risk patients to assess the quality of interdisciplinary documentation
- Reviewing the history and outcomes of payment-related scrutiny initiated by Medicare or Medicaid contractors
- Identifying compliance risk areas in policies and procedures
- Observing interdisciplinary meetings to assess the efficacy of care plan updates and the recertification process
- Reviewing survey and/or accreditation results, including any statements of deficiencies, and compliance with submitted plans of correction
- Analyzing satisfaction survey and other data to evaluate the quality of patient/family care
- Auditing personnel files to ensure regulatory compliance
- Reviewing on-call, complaint, and incident logs to identify trends and evaluate the response process
- Assessing the efficacy and compliance of the quality assessment and performance improvement, infection control, and disaster preparedness programs
- Reviewing staff orientation and education programs to evaluate appropriateness
- Conducting leadership and staff interviews to evaluate competency and job satisfaction, identify knowledge gaps, and assess staff morale and other areas of potential concern
- Conducting a life safety tour of the target hospice's inpatient or residential facility
- Auditing random contracts to ensure regulatory compliance and identify potential risks
- Identifying and interviewing top referral sources to evaluate external perceptions of care, ease of referral, and strength of relationships
Weatherbee's goal is to provide a comprehensive picture of the strengths and weaknesses of your potential acquisition through a comprehensive evaluation of the program.
Engaging Weatherbee will result in:
- Understanding the potential risks associated with acquiring an existing hospice program;
- Determining the viability of the target hospice before a final purchase decision is made; and
- Identifying major priorities to be addressed in a post-acquisition transition plan to support integration and success.
Please contact Weatherbee for additional information regarding Pre- and Post-Acquisition Clinical Due Diligence consultations.